You’ve probably heard about oil pulling by now — maybe from a friend or on the evening news. Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique that involves swishing a bit of oil in your mouth, preferably on an empty stomach, for about 15 minutes. This action is supposed to draw toxins out of your body, primarily to improve oral health but also to improve your overall health.
With regular oil pulling, studies have shown benefits such as reduced plaque, cavity prevention and stronger gums for individuals who already have a healthy mouth. For people with current plaque build up, I teeth cleaning first is a good option, then a regular oil pulling practice to maintain the cleaning.
I’ve been oil pulling on and off over the past couple years and find that when I am consistent, my teeth maintain that fresh from the dental hygienist clean feel. To make it easier to maintain the habit and be consistent, I made these Peppermint Oil Pulling Chews. You can make a batch in no time and keep them in your fridge. Popping a minty coconut oil chew in my mouth is a refreshing way to start the day – I like to pop one right before jumping in the shower. By the time I’m out of the shower, I’m ready to spit out the coconut oil.
Peppermint Oil Pulling Chews
- Coconut oil – My preferred oil, the lauric acid in coconut oil has antimicrobial properties, including the ability to fight off bacteria, viruses, and yeasts.
- Peppermint Essential Oil – A refreshing and energizing flavor for my morning oil pull. I only use therapeutic grade essential oils, learn how to get them HERE.
- Candy mold
- Pipettes – I use these 3-ml pipettes, and fill each candy mold with 2 pipettes worth of oil
- Melt coconut oil in double boiler – I use a glass jar in a saucepan of water
- Use pipette to fill candy mold with melted coconut oil, I use two pipettes full of oil per candy mold
- Add one drop of Peppermint Essential Oil to each individual candy mold
- Place molds in refrigerator to harden
- Once hardened, pop out of molds and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator
- Place one Peppermint Oil Pulling Chew in your mouth and chew until melted (this is the hard part, don’t swallow your chew!)
- Swish melted oil around mouth for 10-20 minutes, I try for 15 minutes.
- When done pulling, spit out oil in the trash (you don’t want to clog up your pipes with hardened coconut oil, and you don’t want to swallow the bacteria that has accumulated in the oil).
- Now brush and floss like normal and enjoy that straight-from-the-dentist fresh, clean mouth feel!
Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail, and get a free sign-up gift.